No one wants to think about when “your time is up,” or “you’ve ticked your last tock.”
A few simple additions to your everyday diet/lifestyle can help keep your heart healthy for years to come.
Here are a few tips you can use right away. Your ticker will thank you!
Use plant sterols and stanols.
These are substances that occur naturally in plant-based foods.
They work by preventing some of the cholesterol in your diet from being absorbed into your bloodstream.
Instead, the cholesterol gets “flushed” out as waste. In addition, numerous studies suggest they are highly effective at reducing LDL (“bad”) cholesterol.
You don’t have to completely switch to a vegan diet!
Simply adding more fruits and vegetables to your daily intake is a great way to take advantage of plant sterols and stanols.
All you need is 2 grams of sterols per day to lower bad cholesterol by 5 to 15%.
Here’s more help on where to find them from WebMD: “Plant sterols and stanols are substances that occur naturally in small amounts in many grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, and seeds.”
Since they have powerful cholesterol-lowering properties, manufacturers have started adding them to foods.
You can now get stanols or sterols in [plant-based] margarine spreads, orange juice, cereals, and even granola bars.
One of many favorite heart-healthy fruits is strawberries!
Go here to discover 7 Health Benefits from Eating Strawberries: https://www.newwavefitness.com/blog/7-health-benefits-from-eating-strawberries/
Berberine is truly a magic herb (that can be found in capsule form.)
We know that a plant-based diet is great, but adding berberine to your daily routine can produce amazing results.
Studies have shown that taking this bright yellow plant compound can help to reduce blood pressure, manage bad cholesterol, and lower triglycerides and blood glucose levels.
Berberine can also assist your heart to maintain its regular rhythm.
There are so many things it can do though, it would take probably 100 pages to list them all!
Our focus today being on the heart, keeping your bad cholesterol (LDL) levels in check and managing your blood pressure are two huge benefits!
Go to newwavenutrients.com to order Medical Grade Berberine-500 at a 10% discount and free shipping.
Take fish oil.
This is another one of those “miracle” supplements that seem to do everything under the sun.
Fortunately, there are hundreds of studies to back up all the heart-health benefits.
You can choose to eat fatty fish, like salmon, 2-4 times a week, but due to possible mercury contamination, you may opt for taking it in supplement form.
Healthline.com, in their article “13 Important Benefits of Taking Fish Oil,” shows some interesting facts:
“Heart disease is the leading cause of death worldwide. Studies show that people who eat a lot of fish have much lower rates of heart disease.
Multiple risk factors for heart disease appear to be reduced by the consumption of fish or fish oil. The benefits of fish oil for heart health include:
- Cholesterol levels: It can increase levels of “good” HDL cholesterol. However, it does not appear to reduce levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol
- Triglycerides: It can lower triglycerides by about 15–30%
- Blood pressure: Even in small doses, it helps reduce blood pressure in people with elevated levels
- Plaque: It may prevent the plaques that cause your arteries to harden, as well as make arterial plaques more stable and safer in those who already have them
- Fatal arrhythmias: In people who are at risk, it may reduce fatal arrhythmia events. Arrhythmias are abnormal heart rhythms that can cause heart attacks in certain cases
Although fish oil supplements can improve many of the risk factors for heart disease, there is no clear evidence that it can prevent heart attacks or strokes.”
Go to newwavenutrients.com to order Medical Grade Omega Superb at a 10% discount and free shipping.
Yep. Laughter could very well be the best medicine.
We now know that mental stress correlates with impairment of the protective barrier that lines our blood vessels.
Laughing helps ease that stress and could potentially save your heart!
In fact, one study done at the University of Maryland School of Medicine suggests that laughter is linked to the healthy function of blood vessels and may help protect against heart attack!
Laughing releases nitric oxide, which dilates blood vessels, therefore increasing blood flow.
The benefits of laughing are immediate!
Nitric oxide also provides anti-inflammatory protection and helps to prevent plaque formation.
There are many things in life that can stifle laughter, so sometimes we need to look for opportunities to laugh–things to make us laugh!
Some suggestions are:
- Watch a funny show–and it doesn’t need to be one you haven’t seen before. Look for a movie or TV show that you know has those hilarious scenes that make you laugh every time.
- Try to see the humorous side instead of the sad side of things. “Always look on the bright side of life…” – Monty Python
- Spend time with people who tickle your funny bone. Everyone has that friend or relative who can make them laugh like no other. Get together for one of those long belly laughs where neither one of you can catch your breath.
Above all else, remember that your heart is a muscle and needs regular exercise to stay healthy, just like all of our other muscles.
Cardiovascular workouts are essential to building endurance and tickers that will keep us going strong all of our lives.
Do you want help to build your heart muscle? Go here to plan your strategy.